Adding and Dropping
To begin the add or drop process, select the plus or minus icon next to the player in the following locations:
- From the player list accessed by selecting the Add or Drop link at the top of the MY TEAM tab of the site tab
- From the player card accessed by selecting the player's name anywhere in the app or site
- From your MY TEAM page or Team app section (drop only)
Available players are either free agents or "on the waiver wire". When using the process initiated with the above instructions, free agents are added immediately. All other players are locked "on waivers" and may be added after the "waiver period" (see below).
Added players are placed on the bench.
Note that in most leagues players lock in position at game time or on waivers when they are dropped.
To promote fair play and prevent actions that compromise the integrity of the fantasy game, NFL.com maintains a list of players that can be benched or traded, but cannot be dropped from any roster. The Undroppable Players list is in the PLAYERS tab and can be disabled for Custom Leagues.
Commissioners can not create their own undroppable list
The waiver wire (or waivers) is the list of available players who are locked from being added to teams for a period of time (called the "waiver period") in order to give all teams in a league a chance to add them.
Waiver wire players (or players "on waivers") are awarded to the team manager with the highest waiver priority to have laid a claim on the player (added) by the time the waiver period expires. In Waiver Budget (WB) custom leagues, waiver wire players are awarded to the team managers who place the highest salary offer on the players by the time the waiver period expires.
If a player on the waiver wire is not claimed during the waiver period, he becomes a free agent and may be added immediately by anyone. Submitted waiver claims are noted in team notes in the MY TEAM tab.
Waivers can be managed in the app by pressing the "Waivers" button on the TEAM page of your league.
Typically, players lock on the waiver wire after the draft, at game time, or when a player is dropped from a roster. For undrafted or dropped players, the waiver period begins overnight after going undrafted or being dropped. For players who lock on the waiver wire at game time, the waiver period begins overnight after the final game of the weekend concludes.
Default waiver periods last one day, but Custom Leagues can have up to 4 day waiver periods or no waivers at all. To detail an example, in a default-settings league, the waiver period after a game weekend would begin overnight from Monday to Tuesday, then Tuesday would be the one day waiver period, then waivers would process overnight Tuesday to Wednesday.
The default waiver order, or the order of priority of teams rostering a player on the waiver wire, is at first the inverse of the draft order but then resets on Tuesdays to the inverse order of league standings. A successful waiver claim moves a team to the back of the waiver order through the week until the aforementioned reset.
Custom Leagues can have a waiver order that does not reset to the inverse order of the standings on Tuesdays. This is called "Move to Last After Claim". A successful waiver claim moves a team to the back of the waiver order under this setting as well.
In the playoffs in any league, the waiver order never resets based on inverse order of standings.
Waiver settings are found in the "Settings" tab of the LEAGUE page. A team's waiver priority is displayed in parenthesis on the MY TEAM page and next to the team's win/loss streak in the Standings area of the league homepage.
To begin the trade process, select the trade icon (opposing arrows) next to a desired player in the following locations:
- From the player's managers's Team Page on desktop
- From the player list accessed by selecting the PLAYERS tab on desktop
- From the player list accessed by selecting the Trade link at the top of the MY TEAM tab
- From the player card accessed by selecting the player's name anywhere in the game, including the app
Include comments and submit (or cancel) in the subsequent Review Trade Proposal page. Submitted trades appear in the team notes above the roster in the MY TEAM page, and a notification is sent via email to the other team manager. You can also view them using the "Trades" button on the TEAM page of the NFL Fantasy Football app.
Select "View Trade" in the MY TEAM page then "Cancel Trade" button in order to withdraw a trade offer before it is accepted. This can also be done using the "Trades" button in the app as well.
Default Trading Rules
- No maximum number of trades in a season
- The league voting period is 2 full days, beginning overnight at the end of the day the trade is accepted.
- Pending trades appear on Team Pages; managers select "View Trade" to vote for or against a trade
- Overturning trades via voting requires a league majority, including traders
- Once the trade review period expires and a majority has not voted to veto, the players switch rosters, unless...
- Starting players locked at game time may not switch rosters, so if the trade review period carries into a game weekend, the trade will process after the weekend
Custom Trade Rule Options in Addition to Default Settings Above
- Trade Review Powers: Commissioner Veto, League Vote (by team managers), or None
- Trade Review Period: 1-4 days
Trades are only allowed until your league's trade deadline, which can be adjusted in Custom Leagues and is found in the league settings page. The default setting for Custom Leagues is no trade deadline. The default trade deadline for NFL-Managed Leagues is November 22.
The Trading Block, accessible by a link in the MY TEAM page, is where team managers communicate roster needs using the following categories:
- On The Block - Players a team manager is willing to trade
- Untouchable - Players a team manager is not willing to trade
- Interested -Positions at which a team manager is looking to improve
- Available - Positions at which a team manager is flexible
Depth Charts, accessible from the top of the LEAGUE page, are snapshots of league rosters on a single page with links to propose trades and send emails. Players are listed in order of cumulative fantasy production. Players in bold are current starters.
Trading Draft Picks (custom league option)
Custom keeper leagues can allow trades of draft picks by keeping track of agreements made the previous season and having them reflect using the Custom Draft Board. Any trade should have the same number of draft picks swapped between teams, because each team must exit the draft with the same number of players.